Saturday

Educators are People, too.

One of the top reasons why I think education could benefit from organizational culture literature is captured by this blog post in Education Week: "10 Reasons Your Educators are Resisting Your Change Initiative."  Educators are people, too.

I was reminded of the humanity and "regular"-ness of teachers when I visited my old school a couple of weeks ago.  I heard people continually satisfied with the progress of their students.  I heard people continually frustrated by the oversight and underappreciation.  I heard teachers sound like employees in other organizations-- wanting the basics of transparency, agency, and respect.  It cemented my thoughts that leadership is really powerful (and can rob shining stars from their brilliance over time).

No comments: